[Babel-users] how to get ahcpd running on debian

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Mar 4 11:43:12 UTC 2011

> I have an adhoc wifi 11a network, with debian running on some ALIX embedded
> pcs.

Cool.

> I'd like to add an autoconfigure protocol like ahcp.

> First question: How should I configure /etc/network/interfaces file?

AHCP is not integrated with Debian's framework, so you should *not*
mention the OLSR interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces.

Choose one of your routers to be the AHCP server; this machine needs to
have stable storage that survives a reboot (a hard disk or some writable
piece of flash), and should preferably be running ntpd.  The natural
choice is usually to the server on your Internet gateway.  The other
routers will be clients, and they don't need to have writeable storage.

Then follow the instructions in the README provided with AHCP (see the
sections "Setting up a server" and "Setting up a client").  If there's
anything that's not clear in the README, please let us know -- I'd like
to improve the README.

--Juliusz