[Debian-zh-dev] New SCIM packages (experimental) ready

Ming Hua minghua@rice.edu
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 20:13:31 -0500

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:53:22PM +0800, Sebastian wrote:
> Hi *,

Hi Sebastian,

> I cannot read the mail, but I can guess that it refers to the same problem I
> have with GAIM and the current Debian/unstable SCIM version. I can only
> input English in GAIM, while for other GTK applications it works just fine.
> This has been so since the 0.79 release of GAIM. Is this a known problem?

Sorry that we are having Chinese mails here, but since this is a list
for development about Chinese, I hope you can understand that.

Basically Tchaikov is reporting the same problem as your had:  SCIM
doesn't work with Gaim if you use the scim GTK im-module.  He also found the
workaround -- change the GTK im-module to xim (right click menu -> Input
Methods -> X Input Method, or set the environment variable GTK_IM_MODULE
to xim).  Sebastian, I would suggest you to use XIM instead of GTK
immodule, since it's more established technique, and more applications
supports XIM.  Basically, you just need two environment variables to set
up xim, being XMODIFIERS to "@im=SCIM", and GTK_IM_MODULE to "xim".  The
disadvantage, is that you must have a locale supporting Chinese (any
UTF-8 works fine, but need a little adjustment).  I'll write a small
user's guide as soon as possible on this.

I have confirmed this bug exists for scim 0.99.5-0pre1 and gaim 0.80-3,
and since Sebastian is reporting the same problem with scim 0.9.7-2
(currently in unstable), I'll see if I can reproduce that, too.

I am pretty sure this bug is upstream, since I've seen similar things
reported on other platforms.  I don't know if it's a scim bug or a gaim
one, though.  I'll report it to upstream, and see if we can pin it down.

Tchaikov and Sebastian, thank you both for the testing and report.

Ming
2004.08.03

We used to think that if we know one, we know two, because one and one are
two.  We are finding that we must learn a great deal more about ``and''.
                                                  --- Sir Arthur Eddington