[Debian-ha-maintainers] libqb is ready

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Sat Mar 28 22:24:17 UTC 2015

Richard B Winters <rik at mmogp.com> writes:

> I've finish libqb, the update was quite extensive:

Great!  Please find my notes below.

> libqb (0.17.1+git.9.83552692aa-1) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * New upstream release

You packaged a git snapshot, not an exact upstream release.

>   * debian/patches: Dropped as this is the latest upstream source tree

Where did you start, what did you drop?  In other words: is there a
packaging repo for libqb?

>   * debian/rules: Updated hardening implementation

On debhelper level 9 hardening is fully automatic, just drop it.

>   * debian/control: Bump Standards-Version

I read somewhere that Standards-Version changes must always be
documented, even if that's simply "no changes required".  Please
consider this.

>   * debian/control: Added Vcs-Git

Vcs-Git should indicate a publicly accessible repository where the
Debian source package is developed, not the upstream one.  Please add
Vcs-Browser as well.

>   * debian/libqb0.symbols: Added for better cross-dist-version support

I'll have to learn the symbols system.  Jonathan Wiltshire stated in
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=768922#35 that some
bad symbols table resulted in the current mess, and that a soname bump
may also be needed.  I don't understand this fully yet, though.

>   * debian/libqb-dev.docs: Added for coding_style.txt

Generally, I'd prefer dh_installdocs --link-doc=libqb0 and dh_install
--fail-missing, if reasonable.  You can even use those via

dh $@ --with autoreconf --fail-missing --link-doc=libqb0

(but see eg. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=685683)

>   * debian/<pkg>.lintian-overrides: Added to prevent lintian flags as a
>     side effect of several of the manual pages not being properly
>     formatted for conversion by doxygen; hyphens, mispellings, and
>     invalid whois entries

I think these are genuine problems and should not be overridden, but
rather fixed and upstreamed (especially that you're packaging a git
snapshot).  The misspellings are the easiest; I'd have to look into the
rest.

>   * debian/README.debian: Added in order to spell out conditions
>     necessary for user to be able to run pkg-config --modversion
>     successfully post install of libqb-dev

Isn't README.source a better place for this?  You could also point to
build-aux/git-version-gen for further explanation.  And I think its
value in the package (0.17.1) is incorrect: if I build from git I see
VERSION = 0.17.1.9-8355 in the created Makefile.

Finally, don't you think a debug package would be useful?  I mean
something like

override_dh_strip:
	dh_strip --dbg-package=libqb0-dbg

and a corresponding .install file.