[Debian-ha-maintainers] libqb is ready

Richard B Winters rik at mmogp.com
Sat Mar 28 23:02:13 UTC 2015

Feri,

Thanks for the reply :)

> Great!  Please find my notes below.
>
> > libqb (0.17.1+git.9.83552692aa-1) unstable; urgency=low
> >
> >   * New upstream release
>
> You packaged a git snapshot, not an exact upstream release.

Ah yes, I can update that. I didn't put 2 and 2 together - Sorry :\

> >   * debian/patches: Dropped as this is the latest upstream source tree
>
> Where did you start, what did you drop?  In other words: is there a
> packaging repo for libqb?

I don't see a packaging repo for many of the debian-ha packages...the
last updates on the alioth repositories that do exist are mercurial and
seem many years since last usage :\

If you download the current libqb (apt-get source libqb0) and inspect
debian/patches...I dropped each of the patches present...is this not
what you would interpret? This comment should clearly explain that. Am I
missing something?

> >   * debian/rules: Updated hardening implementation
>
> On debhelper level 9 hardening is fully automatic, just drop it.

Hmm, ok - did not see that before in
https://wiki.debian.org/HardeningWalkthrough#What_is_all_this_about.3F ,
will update accordingly.

> >   * debian/control: Bump Standards-Version
>
> I read somewhere that Standards-Version changes must always be
> documented, even if that's simply "no changes required".  Please
> consider this.

Sure, should only take a second or two.  Where to put changes? In
readme.debian? Or in the changelog?

> >   * debian/control: Added Vcs-Git
>
> Vcs-Git should indicate a publicly accessible repository where the
> Debian source package is developed, not the upstream one.  Please add
> Vcs-Browser as well.

Hmm ok, I don't think we have one ->  could I make a repository under
github.com/debian-ha for this? Would this be allowed and warranted?

> >   * debian/libqb0.symbols: Added for better cross-dist-version support
>
> I'll have to learn the symbols system.  Jonathan Wiltshire stated in
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=768922#35 that some
> bad symbols table resulted in the current mess, and that a soname bump
> may also be needed.  I don't understand this fully yet, though.

I originally did an soname bump (libqb0a), but found it wasn't
necessary. Pabs gave me a rather good run-down and then provided me with
links, which I studied religiously.

The current mess is likely because of the lack of a symbols file
throughout all library packages, because having used them from the
initial release (the right way) would have provided better support
across Debian versions. It allows dependency resolution with regards to
multiple versions of the same library on a single machine, by specifying
which version is the minimal version necessary to support a particular
symbol. The corresponding dependency is selected according to which
minimal version supports all of the required symbols - and even with
cross-dependencies.

I did the full symbol dump starting with the earliest package available,
and found a soname bump was not necessary yet. No symbols are missing
from what I can tell, and in latest tests everything worked well. (my
stack has the package installed and pacemaker and corosync and the stack
itself is working well, no api errors, etc.)

> >   * debian/libqb-dev.docs: Added for coding_style.txt
>
> Generally, I'd prefer dh_installdocs --link-doc=libqb0 and dh_install
> --fail-missing, if reasonable.  You can even use those via
>
> dh $@ --with autoreconf --fail-missing --link-doc=libqb0
>
> (but see eg. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=685683)

I will use your second suggested implementation - after reading the
supplied informational link :)

> >   * debian/<pkg>.lintian-overrides: Added to prevent lintian flags as a
> >     side effect of several of the manual pages not being properly
> >     formatted for conversion by doxygen; hyphens, mispellings, and
> >     invalid whois entries
>
> I think these are genuine problems and should not be overridden, but
> rather fixed and upstreamed (especially that you're packaging a git
> snapshot).  The misspellings are the easiest; I'd have to look into the
> rest.

Many on Debian mentors found it completely acceptable to ignore those
errors. There are 100's of manuals, and they are each very big; I do not
intend to fix them. If you build the last package available in Debian
repositories form source, you will find that I've fixed a majority of
lintian errors/warnings/information that were not cleaned up before the
upload took place. These hyphen and spelling errors included.

This seems like the last thing anyone should be worried about,
especially considering the state of the stack.

> >   * debian/README.debian: Added in order to spell out conditions
> >     necessary for user to be able to run pkg-config --modversion
> >     successfully post install of libqb-dev
>
> Isn't README.source a better place for this?  You could also point to
> build-aux/git-version-gen for further explanation.  And I think its
> value in the package (0.17.1) is incorrect: if I build from git I see
> VERSION = 0.17.1.9-8355 in the created Makefile.

I don't think so, unless I've misinterpreted the use case for these
files. There is no need to explain this with regards to the source
code...its specific to the debian package because of how it is packaged
(without git directory) and how it builds...when building from git
source you have the git folder in the directory...and you don't have to
worry about anything.

> Finally, don't you think a debug package would be useful?  I mean
> something like
>
> override_dh_strip:
> 	dh_strip --dbg-package=libqb0-dbg
>
> and a corresponding .install file.

Yes, probably. I'll add that as well.

Thank you for reviewing, please advise regarding the couple of comments
I didn't just immediately agree to.

Best,

--
Rik