[Debian-ha-maintainers] libqb is ready

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Mon Mar 30 15:08:12 UTC 2015

Richard B Winters <rik at mmogp.com> writes:

> wferi at niif.hu writes:
>
>> You are right, I did not check it, only read the documentation in
>> build-aux/git-version-gen.  But then I think this is a bug in the
>> upstream release process, which should be reported and fixed, not
>> documented.
>
> It should be reported and fixed yes, which I will let upstream know
> packing a stale .tarball-version file would work wonders for some.

Thanks for opening the issue.  The .tarball-version should not be
"stale", though, but correct instead.  It carries the upstream version.

Strangely, the 0.17.0 upstream tarball also does not contain the
.tarball-version file, but the Debian orig tarball does.  I overlook
something, or somebody's cheating here...

> However, I also believe using git-buildpackage might also avoid that,

You can't rely on git-buildpackage for this, the Debian source package
must build without git from the upstream tarball.

>> Repacking the original tarball has its complications, we'd better avoid
>> that.
>
> With all that said, is there really that big of a complication by adding
> that single file?

Yes.  The orig tarballs are expected to be pristine, ie. exactly as
provided by upstream.  Repackaging must be avoided; basically, you can
do so only to remove not distributable material.

> prior to compressing the extracted release tarball into *.orig.tar.gz

This is something you don't do (read about pristine-tar for details).

>> Yeah, but discrepancies not in source, but in behaviour.
>
> With no .git directory in the release tarball, they must have known when
> packing it that the end user would need a stale file - and if its the
> fact that its missing that's causing the unwarranted behavior, I'd say
> that's an issue with source.

My point exactly.  Under "end user" I mean the Debian user installing
the binary (compiled) package.  He has absolutely no business with
.tarball-version.  But README.Debian is the documentation of the binary
package...
--
Regards,
Feri.