[Debian-ha-maintainers] backporting, packaging issues + Updates

Richard B Winters rik at mmogp.com
Wed May 13 21:11:46 UTC 2015

Hi Matt and All,

Just for reference:

I gave our website a little fixing up [1], Updated our Wiki a bit [2],
and did some extra setup/configuration of Alioth (such as Troy Software
Map categorization, submitting a first piece of news regarding upload of
libqb while testing the group website, and more).

Now to move on to Matt's topics:

On Wed, 2015-05-13 at 15:18 +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> On 13/05/15 14:25, Matthew Vernon wrote:
>
> > The good news is that making jessie-backports suitable builds of libqb,
> > corosync, cluster-glue, and pacemaker is pretty trivial. Configuring
> > them may take a bit longer ;-)

Awesome :)

I hadn't mentioned anything yet, but I've finished setting up a gitlab
instance, and have added a debian-ha group along with all the packages
we've been working on (or most at least) [3].

I also set up a gitlab-ci (with unofficial multi-runner, uses docker)
instance [4]. You can view all of the public builds, their build
scripts, and logs there.

And that leads me to mention that I created a PPA specifically for the
purpose of testing the cluster stack software builds/installs on the
gitlab-ci instance [5] (see the build scripts), but anyone can test an
install from there as well.

> In less good news, there's a dependency cycle:
>
> crmsh Build-Depends upon libcib4-dev (>=1.1.12), which in turn Depends
> upon pacemaker (= 1.1.12-1~bpo8+1)

crmsh (source build) needs pacemaker installed for it's build process,
in order to parse files for version and directory information.

Yea, there is still an intra-package-circular-dependency warning from
lintian in the latest commit in our packaging repository. I wasn't sure
what to do and thought perhaps a discussion was needed.

> But pacemaker Depends upon crmsh | pcs.

> This makes building crmsh from source "challenging" - you can't install
> pacemaker (needed to build crmsh) without already having build crmsh.

I think only the pacemaker binary package needs to depend on crmsh or
pcs. But actually, you can use this stack without crmsh or pcs, so
perhaps it shouldn't depend on either and we leave it up to the end user
to choose their interface?

> My initial suspicion is that the various libraries don't actually need
> to Depend upon pacemaker?

[At least one of] the various library packages do require some of the
components in the pacemaker binary package - I'm pretty sure; though I'd
have to dig through and double check to be positive.

Let me know what you think after reading that :)