[Debian-handbook-translators] The Debian Administrator's Handbook ready to be translated!

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Tue Nov 24 08:34:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015, AYANOKOUZI, Ryuunosuke wrote:
> I checked the shipping charge in the case of shipping to Tokyo.
>
> Shipping To: ******** ******** *-* ******** chiyoda-ku Tokyo, ***-**** Japan
>
> Item Subtotal:	$50.10
> Subtotal:	$50.10
> Shipping Subtotal:	$68.99 (Express)
> Shipping Subtotal:	$8.99 (Mail)
> and Tax.

Usually you pick between Express and Mail, those are different options.
$68.99 is really expensive but $8.99 could be acceptable... but it's a
long delivery delay (7-21 days!) and you have no tracking. :-|

> > The second problem with Lulu is that we can't input japanese in the
> > official book description... the ISBN metadata must be in Latin
> > characters. Or maybe there's a good way to transliterate japanese
> > that is still readable by Japanese ?
>
> I think we should find a way to input Japanese character.
> I find a Japanese author[1] writing his book's description in Japanese[2]
> (which is placed on the right side of front cover image).
> So, there is a way to naturally input Japanese, I think.

Possibly, but then it seems to be incompatible with
the distribution program that makes it available on retailer like Amazon:
http://www.lulu.com/help/distro_eligible
http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/Mandatory-Print-Book-Distribution-Requirements/ta-p/33632

Requirements for the Publishing Wizard

    Book Description, Author and Title must use a Latin Character set. We
    cannot accept Russian, Chinese, Japanese and other non-Latin
    characters or symbols. If non-Latin characters are used the ISBN will
    not be sent to the ISBN agency.

Given the above cost issues, it seems more important to ensure
that the book can be part of the distribution program.

> * 2nd-option: Romanization of Japanese
>
> There is standard translation for Japanese-character into Latin script.
> The translation is called "Romanization of Japanese"[1].
> If we have to do so, please inform me.
> "Romanization" is nothing compared with English-to-Japanese translation.
> But I don't think "Romanization" is reader-friendly
> for Japanese and also for search engines.
> This should be used as a last resort, if at all.

Given that the Amazon webpage of my book seems to have a Japanese
description already, maybe someone is doing the translation from the
English description that I have submitted?

So maybe we should just keep the current English description making it
clear that we speak of a Japanese book (which should be obvious with the
cover).

> > And the last problem is obviously that there is no japanese version
> > of the website itself (where you place the order).
>
> I think we should lead your Japanese customer to amazon.co.jp.

Ok.

> I must explain disadvantage also.
> If your book is sold on amazon not on lulu.com, you will get less royalties[1].
> I'm not sure this point is acceptable for you.

I know this, it's fine, otherwise I would not have subscribed to the
distribution program. :)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer