[Debian-in-workers] possible packages for indic-desktop task

Christian Perrier bubulle@debian.org
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:32:42 +0100

Quoting Jaldhar H. Vyas (jaldhar@debian.org):
> Christian Perrier suggested that we think about an indic-desktop task for
> the new installer.  Here's a list of packages that could be included.  If
> they need additional packages for internationalization, they are in
> parantheses.
>
> I've arranged them by language because we should think about whether we
> want seperate tasks by language or put them all altogether.

Both are possible, indeed.

A language task is installed when the language (taken from LANG, IIRC)
matches one entry in the Test-lang field of this task.

For instance, users of Russian languages have both the "cyrillic" and
"russian" tasks installed:

cyrillic:
Task: cyrillic
Test-lang: bg by kz mk mn ru sr uk
Section: l10n
 This task provides Cyrillic fonts and other software you will need in
 order to use Cyrillic.  It supports Belarusian, Bulgarian,
 Macedonian, Russian, Serbian and Ukrainian.
Maintainer: Anton Zinoviev <zinoviev@debian.org>
Key:
 # Cyrillic on the console:
 console-cyrillic
Packages:
 # Easy configuration for some languages:
 language-env
 # Translates Cyrillic encodings.
 konwert

russian:
Task: russian
Test-lang: ru
Section: l10n
 This task installs programs and documentation in Russian
 to help Russian speaking people use Debian.
Maintainer: Peter Novodvorsky <nidd@debian.org>
Key:
 language-env
 manpages-ru
Packages:
 console-cyrillic
 irussian
 mueller7-dict
 konwert
 re
 myspell-ru

As you can see, there mat be some redundancy in tasks...

For indic languages, I thus suggest to build a "indic" task with
everything common to all languages (including libraries if needed) and
then one task per language with specific fonts, dictionaries and so
on.

Please also note that there are -desktop tasks (russian-desktop,
cyrillic-desktop, french-desktop....) which put together packages that
are to be used with packages included in the general "desktop" task.

For instance, you should not put openoffice Hindi stuff in the "hindi"
tasks but in the "hindi-desktop".

Please note that the tasksel source code (which includes tasks) is
available on alioth (indeed, it is now on costa, the future machine
which will replace the current alioth):

svn co svn://costa.wiggy.net/tasksel/trunk tasksel