[Indlinux-group] Fw: [Debian-in-workers] possible packages for indic-desktop task

Jaldhar H. Vyas Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:50:22 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 jitendras@ncst.ernet.in wrote:

> Dear Jaldhar Vyas,
> We at C-DAC are working for localisation of Free/Opensource Software.
> see www.cdacindia.com for our launch statement.
> Also see www.ncst.ernet/projects/janabhaaratii .

Dear Jitendrabhai,

Yes I am aware of Janabhaaratii and have been an admirer of your work for
some time.

> We would like to take up Marathi and Gujarati localisation tasks as
> maojor responsibiliy immediately and would also like to fulfill the
> Hindi gaps if any. Your e-mail , as forwarded by Karunakar , was not
> clear.

Sorry, here is the background.  Debian GNU/Linux is the largest
community-based non-commercial Linux distribution and depending on who's
counting, the second or third most popular distribution overall.  I have
started an initiative called Debian-IN to ensure that Debian is a
first-class distro for speakers of Indian languages.  In preperation for
our new release, we want to add "tasks" to the installation system so for
example a Gujarati speaker, can just select the Gujarati task and get a
fully usable environment with minimal setup.

 > 1> By new installer, you mean on debian website or on a live
CD?

This is the new installer which will be used in the Debian GNU/Linux
distribution and those derived from it such as Ubuntu.  Unfortunately, at
the moment it is textmode-only.  This makes it impossible to use Indic
scripts right now but a graphical version is underway and may even be
included in the new release.

> 2> There is a list of applications that 'could' be included. Does it
> mean that you already fully translated versions listed or they need some
> finishing? 3> What is the criterion, if any to include some and not
> others? 4> How can janabhaaratii project collaborate with you?

The list consists of software which is translated and already is included
within Debian.  You can help by

1.  Translating more Linux software.  This will find its way into Debian
by the usual process and also benefit other distributions.

2.  Debian-specific translations.  e.g. for the Installer.  Debian
packages also have a system called debconf for asking the user questions
at install time.  These questions can be localized too.

3. New software.  If it is under a free license, we can include it in the
distribution.  I'm particularly interested to know if there is there any
way to display Indic text on the Linux console?

The beauty of Debian is that it it is technically very excellent yet it is
completely immune to commercial pressures.  No licensing and royalties are
required and any interested person is free to join in.  Thus IMO it makes
the best platform for the truly free and universal software infrastructure
India needs to excel.

Some links:
Debian Installer - http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/