[Debian-med-packaging] Changes to libsbml

Ivo Maintz ivo at maintz.de
Mon Apr 7 15:12:08 UTC 2014

Hi Andreas,

> On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 10:06:09PM +0200, Ivo Maintz wrote:
> > > I have inspected your work on libsbml to sponsor the package.
> > > Unfortunately it has two major issues which need to be fixed
> > > first. One issue is that the source contains a minified
> > > JavaScript without source (prettify.js) which is claimed by
> > > lintian as an error.  I excluded this file from the source via
> > > Files-Excluded.
> >
> > This appears to be new in lintian? So far, lintian didn't complain
> > about it, but actually I can see this error to.
>
> Yes, this is a new lintian feature.

Okay, this makes sense.

> > > The second issue is that you rebuilded the orig tarball inside the
> > > clean target.
> >
> > ?! I just tested it (I couldn't believe...), and the source is still
> > untouched. But the clean target removes all files and unpack it from
> > the (unmodified!) source. Are we talking about the same thing?
>
> If you are creating a new tarball from the very same directory your
> chances are very high that the md5sum of the tarball is different
> (even if all files are identical).
> But see below ... I might have misread your code.
>
> > >  This is definitely a no-go.
> >
> > I know...
> >
> > > Assume we need to build another Debian package version from this
> > > upstream version (to fix some bug or a security issue).  The
> > > md5sum of the new source would not match any more and there is
> > > practically no chance to upload a new Debian revision since this
> > > md5sum is verified against the known source tarball at the Debian
> > > mirror.
> >

> > > The consequence is that we'd rather go with a broken clean target
> > > than doing this dirty trick.  I tried to relax the situation a
> > > bit by adding some autogenerated files to Files-Excluded - but
> > > after doing so the package does not build properly any more.
> > > Ivo, do you have some clue how to fix the build?
> >
> > Thats why I delelete everything except of the debian directory and
> > untar the sources. I do NOT change anything in the source tarball.
>
> Well, I was probably a bit to quick.  This would not trigger the
> problem I tried to describe.  It seems I had some other problem when
> cleaning up ... need to check.

I assume, that the tarball is one level above and is gzipped (tar.gz).
Maybe, here is your problem?

> > > You seem to have more experience  with libsbml than me and
> > > perhaps I made things worse.  In any case the JavaScript without
> > > source is not allowed inside the source package and we also can
> > > not repack the source tarball inside the clean target.
> >
> > Tomorrow I will review the stuff...
>
> So I might wait then.  I think by using Files-Excluded our chances
> will be better with the clean target but probably--repack-compression
> xz there is some work left. If it starts becoming very ugly I would
> accept your unusual trick which is in fact not as bad as I assumed in
> the first place.

Files-Excluded would not work; "make" changes to much files in-place
before moving to the build directory.

But, before I commit my (poor) changes - you also changed the
get-orig-source target by adding "--repack-compression xz"; this isn't
working here, my uscan (2.14.1) don't understand this option. Which
version do you use?
And, as I readded "my" clean solution, should I mention thist in the
changelog, or is it easier (in this special case) to simply delete the
line with your entry to this?

Cheers,

Ivo