[Debian-med-packaging] python-networkx/2.1-1 appears to break falcon/1.8.8-1 autopkgtest in testing

Afif Elghraoui afif at debian.org
Sat Jun 9 11:07:35 BST 2018

On June 9, 2018 4:11:42 AM EDT, Andreas Tille <tille at debian.org> wrote:
>Hi Afif,
>
>On Sat, Jun 09, 2018 at 01:11:14AM -0400, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
>> >Falcon is lagging behind upstream since some time.  Are there any
>> >issues
>> >with the 2.x series?  You have added "Build-Depends: nim" in your
>last
>> >commit which I never touched.  So if the solution for the issue Paul
>> >brought up here might be a new upstream - do you think it might be
>> >worth
>> >upgrading or could it be possible that it would be easier to fix the
>> >issue in the old version?
>> >

>> The build system just changed significantly with the newer versions
>and so all the patches need to be revisited and the packaging adjusted.
>This seems to happen frequently with all the PacBio software.
>
>Do you see any chance to involve either upstream or some power user of
>the PacBio Debian packages in the package maintenance work.  We somehow
>need to catch up.  I'm also concerned about cram which is de factor
>orphaned[1] by its former maintainer and which affects all PacBio
>packages.

I see zero chance to involve upstream and don't know of any such users who would be interested in Debian packaging (I think I saw some conda packages pop up, though). The maintenance really is difficult to keep up because of the constant changes--version updates are rarely straightforward-- and the sheer number of packages. Since I changed jobs and don't regularly use these packages anymore, my motivation to put time into their maintenance also dropped. All these issues coming up recently makes me consider just filing for their removal altogether...

regards
Afif