[Debian-med-packaging] Other ways to help the Debian Med team: Ping about free licenses (Was: maude new version and standard outdated)

Andreas Tille andreas at fam-tille.de
Fri Apr 17 08:37:15 BST 2020

Hi Ben,

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 01:58:02AM +0200, Ben Tris wrote:
> Hello Andreas,
>
> Glad to hear.
> That reminds me. If it is helpfull I can notice about warnings like these
> (Or what would be helpfull to notice about looking at the tracker?):
>
> I noticed some packages that has this test warning: a new source-only
> upload is needed to allow migration
> like this: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/q2templates

The need for a source only upload is actually a nice notice.  However,
in our COVID-19 effort I'm mainly busy to enhance the Blends framework
by this kind of quality assurance features.  So we will have (hopefully
not in the too far distant future) an overview about this which will
help spotting this soonish.

> These two together contain all high warnings for (shorten) debci
> appstream build binary
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/sofa-framework
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pbgenomicconsensus

Hmmmm, well these are pretty hard packages.  Sofa needs to be repackaged
from scratch.  We had no manpower to cope with upstream changes.
Currently it can not be built - probably we will loose that package
completely. :-(

Similar with pbgenomicconsensus.  Several packages from Pacific
Bioscience (pb*) are affected by the Python3 removal.  This package
currently can not be build without fixing predependencies first.

> Very rare: high standards and (low) translations:
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/qcumber

This also needs to be repackaged.  Its on my desk since a long time
but other stuff just had higher priority.

> Sorted out high warnings: debci appstream build binary and test with
> warnings.
> Also sorted out last news from 2020, 2019, 2018-older.
> Probably less interesting sorted out: new commits, version VCS newer,
> VCS not up to date,  Failed analyze VCS

Please do not warn about this.  Usually there is a reason why VCS
is newer but no upload had happened.

> This is what I use for https://www.gezapig.nl/covid.html (more for
> people comming from FSD)
> Last news 2020: gone, new, recent (source) update, new upstream, old
> upstream, autoremove

Thanks for the pointer.  However, I'd like to repeat my doubt that
manually maintaining a page like this is exhaustive for you and likely
to be outdated pretty soon (for instance after next upload of a package
... and I personally have a statistics of uploading more than one
package per day since 2014 ( see
http://blends.debian.net/liststats/uploaders_debian-med.png ) )

Considering that you are from FSF I see potentially a more valuable
field where you can be extremely helpful for our project.  You might
have read about our Software liberation Wiki:

   https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/SoftwareLiberation

The discussion is sometimes hard and frustrating - mainly when being
ignored.  The reason of beeing ignored is different - partly it can
perfectly be that people do not read their mail (for whatever reason -
overworked, mail ending up in SPAM, whetever).  So it would really help
to have somebody who tries to ping people repeatedly and possibly on
different channels.  For instance for my last ping to ffp

  https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2020/04/msg00213.html

I received the mail I appended here.  The summary is that the author
"seems" to be happy with a free license but he failed to confirm this
properly and is not reachable.

Way more important than ffp is blat which I pinged here

  https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2020/04/msg00078.html

but it might be that the copyright owner Jim Kent is not reading his
e-mail.  So pinging him on other channels and explain the importance
of a free blat would help.

I have also two packages in the R team I need to investigate

  https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/r-pkg-team/2020-April/011420.html
  https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/r-pkg-team/2020-April/011493.html

The latter goes deeper since in principle we would love to package

  http://meme-suite.org/tools/meme

but my motivation to package non-free stuff is limited since it always
makes technical hassle inside Debian (no autobuilders, no autopkgtest,
etc).  So if you would volunteer to dedicate your time to contact authors
about free licenses this would be a highly appreciated contribution which
in the end is more effective than hunting down issues that are inprinciple
exposed by automatic tools (and possibly overlooked here).

Kind regards and thanks again for your help

    Andreas.

Andreas,

You'll have to wait for Gregory as the Lab nor UC Berkeley has any IP rights
here as far as we could tell. I also don't know him nor have ever met him.

Sebastian