[Debian-on-mobile-maintainers] Forking on MMSD

Chris Talbot chris at talbothome.com
Fri Apr 16 01:06:26 BST 2021

Hello Guido,

On Thu, 2021-04-15 at 20:16 +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 07:30:51AM -0400, Christopher Talbot wrote:
> > Hello Guido,
> >
> > On Thu, 2021-04-15 at 11:10 +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> > > Hi Chris,

> > > Great. If you really want to maintain a fork i'd consider
> > > renaming to
> > > make that obvious (e.g. mm-mmsd) to avoid confusion within
> > > distros.
> >
> > I agree. I am admittedly bad at renaming things, so if you (or
> > anyone
> > else on this email distro) have ideas, I am willing to hear it!
> > Right
> > now the two I have heard that I like are:
> >
> > 1) yammsd
> > 2) mmsd-ng (or mmsd-tng -> I am Star Trek fan)
> > I am thinking I should wait until the weekend to formally change
> > things
> > in my repo, as this email chain shook a lot of trees that I did not
> > expect it to. While it would be nice if something came out of this
> > email chain, I am highly doubtful it will.
>
> If things work out without a fork that would certainly be the best
> outcome. If not i'd change the project name as a start and hold off
> renaming code and DBus APIs until it is certain a fork is needed.
> That
> way changes can still be folded back in e.g. a couple of weeks should
> mmsd upstream come back to live (or transfer maintainership to you
> and
> other interested parties).

I agree. For now I am just going to rename it and caution builders in
the README that my fork will conflict with upstream mmsd if ran on the
same system. Since Debian does not have mmsd packaged anyways (nor does
any other distro that is packaging my fork), that should not be large
concern.

> Cheers,
>  -- Guido

> > > I think sadiq and devrtz were the ones most involved so far but i
> > > think
> > > working via MRs is fine since that allows to establish a
> > > workflow.
> > >

> > That sounds good. Everyone on that list said pretty much the same
> > thing
> > you did. My primary concern is if something were to happen to me,
> > it is
> > good to have someone else who has access to the repo as well.
> >
> > > Cheers,
> > >  -- Guido

Mr. Wise and Mr. Wookey (I know your name is Wookey only, so this is
not your surname. However I do not know the most appropriate way to
address you, so my apologies if I messed it up),

I am additionally including you on the email because you two have been
so kind to try and help me, and I really appreciate it!

Like Mr. Günther said, it would be nice to be able to merge into
upstream, and it seems that the most realistic course of action for
that to happen is if I am able to get access to commit to kernel.org's
mmsd. I have no idea how this would be possible to do, or if they would
even let me (considering I an relatively new to the open source
community?). I am humbly asking for any help you all may have in
achieving this. If you cannot/will not, I also understand.

--
Respectfully,
Chris Talbot