[Debian-on-mobile-maintainers] Hi & interested in team

Arnaud Ferraris arnaud.ferraris at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:11:25 BST 2022

Hi Diane,

Le 16/04/2022 à 05:29, Diane Trout a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have a pinephone flashed with Mobian and would like contribute more
> to mobile debian.

Well, welcome aboard then :)

If you're looking for software worth packaging, you can maybe draw
inspiration from our discussions during the last Mobian dev meeting:
https://mensuel.framapad.org/p/mobianmeeting (see the "packages we
should upload to Debian" section).

Please note some of those are already packaged for Mobian and would only
need a round of reviews/improvements. Those packages can be found under
https://gitlab.com/mobian1. Others are not packaged at all and are
merely a kind of wishlist ;)

> I'm a Debian Developer and have currently been mostly working in python
> & debian-med teams though used to do more for KDE.

If you're experienced working on KDE packages and interested in
maintaining a couple more, you could maybe help with packaging plasma
mobile?

There are existing downstream packages (and no plan from the maintainer
to get those into shape for proper inclusion into Debian,
unfortunately), but those could probably be improved and uploaded.

IIUC having the following packages would be a good start already:
- plasma-settings
- plasma-phone-settings
- plasma-phone-components
- simplelogin

Current downstream packages are available at
https://gitlab.com/debian-pm/plasma-mobile with upstream repos under
https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile. A few additional details can be
found at https://jbb.ghsq.ga/debian-pm/

(please note `maliit-framework` and `maliit-keyboard` are currently in
NEW and maintained by the Debian UBPorts team:
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=team%2bubports%40tracker.debian.org
)

> I had some trouble with the flatpak version of gnome decoder and so
> packaged it, and thought a debian package of flatseal might be good and
> worked out packaging for it too.

Cool, have you uploaded those yet? Feel free to chime in if you want
some reviews/comments.

> I've tried to update gnome-authenticator but am still stuck getting it
> to build.

This is not an easy one indeed, and AFAIK it can't be packaged for
Debian currently due to missing build dependencies (Rust in Debian still
needs some love, although things are constantly improving).

> Also I think gnome-authenticator probalby should move out of the Debian
> team and probably over here (or maybe the gnome team) since upstream
> moved from Python to rust.

It could be appropriate to move its maintenance to the gnome team
indeed, as it's not a mobile-only app.

Thanks for reaching out, and feel free to ping here or on Matrix/IRC
(#mobian-dev or #debian-mobile) should you have any questions.

Cheers,
Arnaud