[Debian-pan-maintainers] packaging procedure

PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel frederic-emmanuel.picca at synchrotron-soleil.fr
Mon Jun 29 09:16:45 BST 2015

Hello Sergi,

> I surrender... I've been playing this weeks trying to understand how can I include in the git repository with the debian sources of the ufo-core the tag 0.8.0 from the author's repository and I can find how. I've tried > every thing I thought useful, and almost everything I read, starting from the traces from Frédéric followed by many howto searches.

Freeze ;)

> I can summarize it in to main paths that I thing have possibilities.

> a) Using both repos to merge them.
> $ git clone https://github.com/ufo-kit/ufo-core && cd ufo-core
> $ git remote add debian git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-pan/packages/ufo-core.git<http://git.debian.org/git/debian-pan/packages/ufo-core.git> && git fetch debian
> $ git checkout -b v0.8.0

> What blocks me in this option has been how to merge the tag with a new upstream branch.

> b) Using the watch file. It's the option that looks more promising because it looks made to do that:
> $ git clone git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-pan/packages/ufo-core.git<http://git.debian.org/git/debian-pan/packages/ufo-core.git> && cd ufo-core
> $ uscan --download --verbose

> Then I have a file ../ufo-core-0.8.0.tar.gz together with a symlink with the *orig* label. But after that I cannot find how to have an upstream branch with the newer code.

Here I will describe how I add a new upstream release to the debian repository.

- First I do not put the real git upstream in the debian package repository. (If I rememmber correctly there was some discussion about how to  put the upstream repository into the debian repo but with no official consensus, the other way arround is another quetion...)

- for now the simplest things to do is to clone only the debian repository (your second solution).
- use uscan to download the lastest version. (already done by you nice :). A working watch file is really import for the debian infrastructure.
  it facilitate a lot the upstream integration :)

- and then integrate this new version in the debian repository.

in order to integrate the new upstream, you need at least two branches (master + upstream)

so

git checkout -t origin/upstream
git checkout master
git-import-orig --pristine-tar ../ufo-core-0.8.0.targ.gz

then you should have to answer the question of the version
just put 0.8.0

once done you should have a new upstream/0.8.0 tag

you should be on the master branch

then you can start to fix the debian files.

build your package with

git-buildpackage

if you do not want to commit you change until it is ok

git-buildpckage --git-ignore-new

Just tell me if it works for you.

Cheers

Fred