[Debian-pan-maintainers] packaging procedure

PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel frederic-emmanuel.picca at synchrotron-soleil.fr
Wed Jul 1 13:45:21 BST 2015

Hello Sergi,

> Good news. Maybe I'm almost there.

cool :)

> After your suggestion to change the debian/rules I've proceed with small modifications of other files in debian directory. I like to list them here to avoid mistakes.

> In debian/rules I've added a rule "override_dh_auto_test:" with no action. I understand that what this produces is to avoid the step of unit tests, isn't it? I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but it allows me to continue.

Yes it was a firest step to help you check that the library build ok and that you can generate a first package.

> Before I've removed, from the "override_dh_auto_configure:" rule the parameter '-- --enable-gtk-doc' because it was making fail the configure, but I suspect this is an issue that would have relation with packages > I've installed. I'm a kde user.

No, this is because I did the first pacakging with autotools and now it seems that you are using cmake (like the upstream author).
Can you ask him which build system would be used for the packaging.
Now you need to learn how to activate the gtk-doc generation with cmake -> upstream question
(can you  put me in CC, thanks)

> In debian/libufo-dev.install I've modified the paths to remove the intermediate starts. That is, I've modified 'usr/lib/*/lib*.so' to 'usr/lib/lib*.so', and also 'usr/lib/*/pkgconfig' to 'usr/lib/pkgconfig'. As well as in > debian/libufo0.install I've modified 'usr/lib/*/lib*.so.*' to 'usr/lib/lib*.so.*', and in debian/gir1.2-ufo-0.0.install modify 'usr/lib/*/girepository-1.0' to 'usr/lib/girepository-1.0'.

This seems to me a bad move because we want multiarch[1] enable pacakge.
So you need to figure out how to activate the multi arch process with cmake.
Usually just using compat level 9 is enought but I do not know with cmake how it works.

>With this changes and the execution of 'dch -v 0.8.0-1 "Update to version 0.8.0." && debcommit -a && git-buildpackage', the process completes with the generation of the expected *.deb files: [gir1.2->ufo->0.0_0.8.0-1_amd64.deb, libufo0_0.8.0-1_amd64.deb, libufo0-dbg_0.8.0-1_amd64.deb, libufo-bin_0.8.0-1_amd64.deb, libufo-data_0.8.0-1_all.deb, libufo-dev_0.8.0-1_amd64.deb, libufo-doc_0.8.0-1_all.deb], all of them described in debian/control.

the control file contain information telling thaht the package is multiarch capable.
So I would say, you need to fix this problem of mulitarch with cmake and then you could start to push to the repository.

I would revert the modificatuions of the .install files and work on the rules file until it is ok :)

> I've managed also two environment variables (DEBEMAIL & DEBFULLNAME) to avoid a misconfiguration of them due to local definitions, and It has been able to request to sign those packages. This also has an effect > on the debian/changelog file.

Usually the important point is to have the right email in the debian/changelog
you can replace my name by yours.
Until it got integrate in the Debian repository, no need to create new debian/changelog entry.
rewrite always the first one :)

> Having this *.deb files, is now the time to commit to the remote?

Let's deal with this multiarch part fist

Cheers

Fred

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch