[Debian-pan-maintainers] pyfai is marked for autoremoval from testing

Jerome Kieffer Jerome.Kieffer at esrf.fr
Wed Jun 15 07:53:07 BST 2022

Dear Debian maintainers,

I am the upstream author of pyFAI.
Just for information, pyFAI has no build-dependency on PoCL, nor on OpenCL.
But if "build" for debian means all tests passing and run-test means testing
the OpenCL backend ...
I would consider pocl as a test-dependency but that's a question of vocabulary.

Beside this, pyFAI relies on numpy.distutils for the build mechanism,
which got deprecated since python 3.10 (removed foreseen for 3.12).
I am currently considering the migration to another build system which
I hope will be more sustainable.
Right now, I am testing meson via meson-python to be able to build following
the recommandation of PEP517. Next release is not foreseen before the
fall but it may imply some additionnal work for the packaging.

Cheers,

Jerome