Trilinos packages

Felix Salfelder felix at salfelder.org
Tue Mar 18 11:56:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:15:49PM +0100, Nico Schlömer wrote:
> A quick poll on the Trilinos package naming:
> Right now, we have "libtrilinos", which triggers a
> package-name-doesnt-match-sonames warning since none of the Trilinos
> libraries is called libtrilinos.* (rather libepetra.*, libbelos.*,
> ...). This is similar to the libboost package which doesn't contain a
> library by the name libboost.* either.

i suspect that the clean way would be (binary) packages for each library
the trilinos source package contains. and maybe have a trilinos-dev
metapackage that depends on all the lib*-dev packages. this will add up
to some copy and paste work, and end up with a lot of packages... i
don't know if it's worth the effort.

fwiw, theres another source package that creates a heap of libraries.
it is the old trilinos package [1]. here, all sonames are prefixed by
"libtrilinos_". looks like an alternative...

> On the other hand, a software very similar to Trilinos, PETSc, goes by
> the Debian name "petsc".

i cannot find a (binary) package called "petsc". but there is (e.g.)
libpetsc3.4.2, and it contains libpetsc.so.4.3.2. unkike trilinos, the
petsc source package creates just one shared library. and afaics its
soname matches the package name.

hth
felix

[1] https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/amd64/libtrilinos/filelist