Trilinos packages

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 09:22:23 UTC 2014

> i suspect that the clean way would be (binary) packages for each library
> the trilinos source package contains.

I fully agree. Trilinos is structurally similar to Boost which does
provide a sophisticated install structure. Unfortunately, the Trilinos
build system is flawed in certain places that make it difficult to
take an automated approach to that. One example is that the
interdependencies of the subpackages aren't presented in a
machine-readable form. Although, I'm submitting patches to Trilinos to
address these issues, I would suggest to first go with a monolithic
package and split it up at a later point.

In the course of packaging Trilinos for Debian, I have identified
quite a number of bugs in Trilinos for which I maintain a little zoo
of patches, https://github.com/nschloe/trilinos-ubuntu/tree/master/patches.
Some of those have already made it upstream, and we'll have to see if
we can get in more of those before the next release freeze.

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Nico