[Debian-science-sagemath] Workflow for updating sagemath in unstable

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Sun May 7 14:06:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

we should discuss how we deal with updating sagemath in unstable, and
espcially updates of dependencies that require changes to sagemath code.

When you update one of the dependencies that often require updates to
sage code (basically most specialized math software used by sage), check
in the sagemath trac if this update requires an update to sagemath code.
If so, apply the patch to sagemath in git and do a test build, or at
least notify this list so someone else can do it.

We should then put together a working combination of packages in
experimental. When that is done, we can migrate everything to unstable.
That means upload the versions from experimental to unstable not
different versions of dependencies. Dependencies can be updated when
everything is still in experimental but not while migrating to unstable,
as that would mean sagemath can't be tested before the upload. We don't
want to have a broken sagemath in unstable for a long time.

In the current case, pynac 0.7.6 needs an update to sagemath code (sage
trac #22838), so let's keep 0.7.5 for now ok? It also got a dependency
on singular, so let's add a dependency on singular 1:4.1.0-p3 and upload
pynac after singular. Julien do you want to do that or can I do it?