[Debian-science-sagemath] installation

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Sat Aug 13 12:53:00 UTC 2016

Some more notes FYI:

Tobias Hansen:
> First we should set debian-temp-userdir.patch to install Python modules
> with --prefix=sage/local/ instead of --user.

In our final Debian sagemath package, it would only necessary to do this for the python packages "sage" and "sage_setup". For other things, the --user patch would become obsolete once we Debianize the actual component, install it into system paths, and add it to the pruner.

For this reason, I think trying to create a "install" target at this time is premature - we should package the other components first, *then* figure out how to install sage. Otherwise, we would probably repeat quite a bit of work.

(There are already some nasty hacks in debian-temp-userdir.patch which took me a few hours to make work, e.g. for cysignals and the docbuild, which in the end can probably all be removed.)

Other points:

At the moment the sage upstream "build" target includes installation, of files to ~/.sage/local. For Debian we will need to split these steps out into two separate targets.

Likewise the same for the docbuild - it includes installing the files into ~/.local/share/sagemath/doc. (Or possibly it builds it directly in that tree, I didn't check too closely.) For Debian we'll need to split the building vs the installation.

BTW, I just realised I am doing the successful docbuild from an SSD and it goes much quicker than my other computer, where the docbuild fails and I'm doing it from an HDD. Maybe you guys can try that too? Or if you have tons of RAM but no SSD, try doing the build from /dev/shm/ which is an in-RAM filesystem. My RAM usage during the successful docbuild is only about 2-3GB, no more.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git