[Debian-sponsors-discuss] Debian fundraising thoughts.

Stefano Zacchiroli leader at debian.org
Mon Mar 11 16:19:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 04:55:32PM +0100, Dr. Michael Meskes wrote:
> > Yes and no.  How would you value the donations that the workplaces of
> > DSA effectively give by letting people handle emergencies?  If you value
> > that at market rates, even a single standby sysadmin is probably well
> > about $20kUSD/year, even before they do anything.  I think just valuing
> > the donations we are getting from hosters (in terms of bandwidth,
> > cooling and remote hands) is going to be hard enough even before you try
> > to cater to the difference in wages between different places in the
> > world, different competence levels between DDs, etc. There's also the
> > issue of ensuring the reports are accurate.
>
> That I totally agree on. Maybe we can have those companies be listed as
> sponsors but only hand out benefits for donating companies?

That's totally doable. In essence, it would mean credit differently
"service" (or employee time) donors and "money" donors. I think that
would be OK. In fact, that is the same principle we use to differentiate
partners: http://www.debian.org/partners/ --- which is, btw, an
initiative that is essentially idle, and that's bad. It's something we
should reassess and possibly merge into the changes we are discussing
here.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o