[xml/sgml-pkgs] Please consider doing a maintainer upload for expat

Ardo van Rangelrooij ardo at ardolabs.com
Thu Jul 19 01:56:03 UTC 2007

Frans Pop (elendil at planet.nl) wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 July 2007 06:11, you wrote:
> > I don't know is Ardo is still active, but if not it would be nice if
> > others from the team could take over responsibility for the package.
>
> I also just see that upstream is at version 2.0.1, while Debian is still
> at 1.95.

Yep, we know.  But uploading this new version is rather tricky.  Due to a
major screw up in an NMU many moons ago, the Debian package of expat got the
incorrect soname of 1, while upstream still had 0.  Please see the changelog
for all the details.  Unfortunately, this NMU was not caught by me in time for
the freeze, so we're currently stuck with two sonames: 0 and 1 with the former
being symlinked to the latter.

The new version has a soname of 1 and there are API changes, so we cannot just
do an upgrade with the soname of 1.  Later this week I'll take this issue to
the -relase ml asking for the best way to properly handle this.

Thanks,
Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij                                     Debian XML/SGML Group
<ardo at debian.org>              <debian-xml-sgml-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>