[Debichem-devel] Science VCS at alioth (Was: Science linguistics and debian-science SVN repository at alioth)

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Fri May 16 00:33:55 UTC 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 15.05.2008, 23:12 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> > Le mardi 13 mai 2008 à 07:57 +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> >> Well, I left out Chemestry and I also left out Biology because we
> >> just have strong teams who care for this.  I think we should not try
> >> to draw developers from DebiChem of Debian-Med.  IMHO having such
> >> a directory in our VCS is OK because people will seek for it at
> >> some point in time but I would rather drop a README there that points
> >> people to the relevant teams.
> > OK, I commited this file:
> > http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/debian-science?rev=140&view=rev
> > Don't hesitate to update them
>
> Just updated a link to Debian-Med VCS.  I would suggest to DebiChem should
> do something similar to avoid confusion.

Could you guys please create an external reference in the debian-science
SVN repository pointing to the debichem SVN repository?

See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html or
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-scicomp-devel/2008-May/002645.html, where I explained this for creating categories without moving stuff around.

So you can also "link" to the pkg-scicomp-group and other related SVN
repositories without forcing the users to read READMEs :) Seriously, you
should of course leave the READMEs to explain, that users check out
external repositories and cannot commit.

> >> So my personal advise for you would be to start contact with DebiChem
> >> people.  These guys are the next target to turn into a fully grown CDD. ;-)
> > I will do !
>
> Just did it as well to make some more noise. ;-)

I read the discussion (as you know). However, I think we, the debichem
team, have a good workflow (just storing debian/ and using dpatch), that
works pretty nice for us but may conflict with other workflows.

Adding the external reference to your SVN repository should be good
enough to show the connection and allow people to work with us.

> > Thanks again for your support, help and advice
>
> Sure.  As I said I would like to help as good as I can - but I can not
> lead the project.  My strong hint is to attract more people who are pulling
> the rope in the same direction.

Yeah, we (all) need more manpower.

BTW: Sylvestre, I wanted to know, if you would like to put v-sim under
the debichem hat, as it seems to be chemistry related. You should be
able to still work on it when we simply add you to the debichem group.
If you are interested, please tell me and Michael should then decide (he
administers debichem).

Regards, Daniel