[Debichem-devel] cclib

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Wed Mar 23 21:45:16 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 23.03.2011, 01:04 +0100 schrieb Karol M. Langner:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 03:44:23PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:24:44AM +0100, Karol M. Langner wrote:
> > >  Shall I import it into unstable?
> >
> > Yes, that would be fine; just create a new directory for your package
> > and add your current debian/ directory under it.  We copy that to
> > tags/<package>/<version> after upload.
>
> Done. I imported manually, since I haven't figured out how to use svn-buildpackage yet.

svn-inject -c 0 -o -O package.dsc svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/debichem/unstable/

My setup uses this in ${HOME}/.svn-buildpackage.conf

> svn-builder=pdebuild --configfile /etc/pbuilderrc --buildresult /usr/local/src/packages/$PACKAGE --debbuildopts \"-us -uc $BUILDOPTS\"
> svn-override=origDir=/usr/local/src/packages/$PACKAGE
> svn-override=buildArea=/usr/local/src/packages/$PACKAGE

Note, that I use pbuilder to build packages and that my setup consists
of one directory per source package in /usr/local/src/packages/. The
"$PACKAGE" variable is evaluated by svn-buildpackage itself (svn-bp
replaces the variable with the source package name).

uscan is used via

uscan --destdir /usr/local/src/packages/{source-package-name}

I can help you to setup svn-bp if necessary. Just give me a hint.

> > >  It seems my old packages don't work correctly anymore. I've started from scratch,
> > > and it's not working correctly. I suppose I should first import it and then
> > > someone could help me with it.
> >
> > Sure, and once it's fine we'll upload it for you.
>
> OK, I managed to get the packages built, but they are not tested. Here are
> a few issues that I think need to be addressed first:
> 1) I am actually creating 3 packages now, cclib, cclib-data and python-cclib. The first
> contains just two scripts (that go in /usr/bin I suppose), the second contains > 5MB
> of log files we use in unittests, and the last is the actual Python module. Is this
> the right way to go, or should it be organized differently?
> 2) I added the actuall unittests (a directory of .py scripts) to cclib-data, but
> I suppose it should be copied to the module directory. I don't know how to do this.

Aren't unittests to test the software itself? Are the logfiles of the
unittests necessary for something/the user? To me it sounds like the
user has no need for it. And in this case you shouldn't package them.

The separation between foo and foo-data is usually used to separate
architecture-dependent (binary code) and architecture-independent
(configuration files, text files, non-binary stuff) stuff. The first
must be built on all architectures and the second just once. This saves
space and (build) resources.

Scripts are usually not architecture-dependent. So I wonder if you
really need cclib and cclib-data? If you want to package these logfiles,
you should probably choose a different name than cclib-data?

We should clarify these questions before proceeding to the modules
directory question, for which we have different tools.

JFTR: I didn't check your package yet. Will do asap.

Regards, Daniel