[Debichem-devel] Looking for a mentor -- multiscale molecular modeling package MMB (and molmodel)

Samuel Flores samuelfloresc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:55:32 GMT 2020

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 5:50 PM Andrius Merkys <andrius.merkys at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Samuel,
>
> Embedded 3rd party sources will most likely cause trouble in getting MMB
> into Debian. Please see the recent mail thread on packaging tensorflow
> [1] to get the feel.

I guess i am not on the right list, anyway i could not find this thread.

> If OpenMM people do not want their software in
> Debian,

They seem to have no objection, in fact they were flattered and
appreciative of the thought. They just didn't want to commit to supporting
this distribution method.

> maybe an alternative to their neighbourlisting function could be
> found?

Ah yes. Such a big package to include, for only one function. You are in
principle completely right, the issue is that most likely it would take me
forever to get around to that since it has no payoff other than this. The
other thing is that my collaborators just added the ccp4 package in the
same way (they checked and the license allows this), and are soon to add
another for mmCIF. So if 3rd party packages being included is a
dealbreaker, then I guess I am lost anyway.

I have little knowledge about Docker. However, I usually look inside the