[Debichem-devel] debichem, update suggest Jmol 2016 to a version of 2021

Norwid Behrnd nbehrnd at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 10:23:37 GMT 2021

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 18:12:47 +0200
Andrius Merkys <merkys at debian.org> wrote:

[...]
> Jmol in Debian is indeed lagging behind - Debian 11 will most likely be
> released with the same Jmol 2016 version. As far as I understand, this
> is due to the technical reasons, as Jmol is quite complicated to
> package. Recent attempts to update Jmol in Debian are summarized in this
> thread [1]. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=719330
>
> Best wishes,
> Andrius

Dear Andrius,

with dpkg -b, I was able to bring the content of Jmol 14.31.32 into a
rudimentary .deb which allows me to install and eventually run the
current version of Jmol in Debian bullseye / sid which earlier
contained 'the old Jmol' by 2016.  Because of the above 'any help is
welcome' and the size of the .deb (51 MB) in question, I would like to
ask in advance if mirroring the current state e.g., on GitHub open to
the public / accessible to you should this of interest for you.

Because it is not possible to call the program from the terminal, and
for the lack of quality standards seen with other Debian programs, I
know that the approach taken by mine most probably is inferior in
quality to what you are used to generate.  So there would be no
feelings hurt if you judge it as «too bad to invest additional effort
on it».

With best regards,

Norwid