[Freedombox-discuss] Opinions on the Excito B3

Francesco Poli frx at firenze.linux.it
Sun Nov 7 15:48:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 16:07:44 +0100 Christian Brædstrup wrote:

> Hi Fancesco,

Hi Christian (sorry for my late reply)!

> Your problem is one that I have been working on for this project. My current
> plan is to create a Debian live-cd that starts a webserver. You then setup
> the installation with your browser and launch the live-installer-launcher
> with preseeds.
[...]

This approach looks interesting: thanks for working on the
implementation!

> You could also try the full automated installer (FAI) project. There you
> setup your system beforehand and the installer does everything (no input
> needed). I think that is your best bet if you want to have something up and
> running soon.

This is another interesting possibility.
I have to learn how to use FAI, but that is going to be useful anyway
sooner or later, I think...

> The hardware looks good but I have not had any experience with it.

Good, thanks for your opinion.

Anyone else? Maybe someone who already owns an Excito B3 and confirms
that everything is well supported by Free Software in general and
Debian (main) in particular?

> I would
> think that it would run the system fine because it's already running a
> version of debian as stock.

That is my hope, but it still has to be confirmed that no non-free
software or non-free firmware components are used in the pre-installed
OS...

I would rather avoid buying this Excito B3, attempting to install a
clean Debian distribution on it and finding out (the hard way) that,
say, a non-free driver or firmware is needed in order to use the
network card or some other hardware component!

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?