[Freedombox-discuss] report on activities in Banja Luka

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Aug 9 22:37:30 UTC 2011

On 11-08-09 at 08:45pm, John Walsh wrote:
> I looked at Buddycloud's website and was surprised to learn that they
> hope to release "next February". That's 7 months away.

Sounds like old news: Buddycloud hoped to release February 2011 but
failed that deadline and put up a new one as "by the end of july" - i.e.
just about now.

Where did you find that outdated info?  I am sitting right now at the
Buddycloud "village" at CCCamp, and am sure they would love to know any
miscommunication like that, to be able to correct it.

> Why is the project evaluating software that's still in development
> when there are more *mature* social networking applications such as
> Friendika, Elgg, Jappix etc around?

I recommended Buddycloud as an initial sample application for FreedomBox
development, because it...

  * is not written in java
  * is not written in PHP
  * uses XMPP (not reinventing messaging on top of http)
  * is actively being packaged for Debian (by me).

Those are just my reasons, not show-stoppers for others: Please do work
on alternatives - would be awesome with friendly competition!

Regards,