[Freedombox-discuss] report on activities in Banja Luka

John Walsh fiftyfour at waldevin.com
Wed Aug 10 14:09:47 UTC 2011

 Hi Bdale,

> > I looked at Buddycloud's website and was surprised to learn
> that they
> > hope to release "next February". That's 7 months away. Why is the
> > project evaluating software that's still in development
> when there are
> > more *mature* social networking applications such as
> Friendika, Elgg, Jappix etc around?
>
> If folks who know and like these applications want to provide
> "recipes"
> for installing and configuring any or all of them in our
> wiki, that'd be great!
I wish I could cook, but I can't cook :( and I appreciate it's not fair to
ask anybody else to cook for me.

The point I was trying to make was if you pick the most mature/popular/rave
reviews project you will have the least amount of work to do because it will
have the most functionality. I have created dummy accounts on the apps
mentioned above and Friendika offered the best/most functionality, although
that's not fair on Elgg (Elgg gets rave reviews) because their demo account
is quite basic and does not include its plug-ins (this is like shooting
yourself in the foot)

> However, note that the objectives, chosen technologies
> (programming languages, protocols supported, infrastructure
> required, etc), level of current functionality, and maturity
> are all over the map.  Clearly, the software for distributed
> social networking is a moving target, and no matter which app
> or apps we choose to focus on, there will likely be some
> amount of work required.
I can't comment on the low level stuff and that may be a reason to reject
Friendika. However, from a user functionality pov Friendika has all the core
apps of social networking app like Facebook, except for chat and skype. I'm
sure there will still be work required :(

-- fiftyfour