[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox experiment & Sister project
dme at dme.org
Wed Jun 15 06:54:27 UTC 2011
(Sorry if you see a duplicate - MTA difficulties.)
* charles at knownelement.com [2011-06-15 Wed 05:59]
>> Running that server, it appeared to me that standard DSL link
>> reliability is quite an issue.
> It certainly can be. Especially the dirt cheap plans offered by the
> telco providers in the USA. I paid 110.00 a month for static ip/no
> filters/business class DSL in Los Angeles CA. I now run everything on a
> VPS at my $dayjob for ~50.00 a month.
My worry about using a VPS is that we lose some of the useful properties
of the system being physically located at our homes. For example:
- Using an encrypted disk is more complex, because I can't easily
provide keying material when the system boots,
- The system is no longer under my physical control, so I can't
destroy it, move it to another site, etc.
- The company providing the VPS may have a different legal obligation
to an individual should a government agency ask for information
about or from the system,
- Moving large amounts of data to/from the system may be
significantly more time consuming (or it may not - it depends where
the data is coming from or going to).
More information about the Freedombox-discuss