[Freedombox-discuss] Creating Mailing Lists

Weaver weaver at riseup.net
Fri Nov 4 00:41:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 14:45:22 -0800
John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:

> > There are others here, like me, who have little talent in this area,
> > but have valid comments to make concerning our aesthetic response to
> > the proposals.  Please don't go off into your own corner and discuss
> > things in private among the three of you.  Release early and release
> > often in the open arena of this list as you have done here this
> > time, please.  Thank you.
>
> No, please.
>
> This is the last message I want to see about the details of logos and
> aesthetics.  And I bet I'm not the only one.

Quite possibly not, but this is easily fixed in the header.
Then these are just deleted as any other thread of little interest to
*that particular list member* is.

I think that creating a separate list destroys the value of the open
source potential. Every now and again, the least interested person
might contribute something of value. Some more and some even more than
that. Little point in dividing what is stronger as a combined effort.
Look at the Debian lists. It has a dedicated 'firewall' list for
example, but most of the discussion on firewalls takes place on
Debian-user, because that's the one all the sys. admins. are subscribed
to, predominantly.

What is a pain is subscribing to half a dozen different lists to keep
tabs on what is going on. Or arriving at the end, or end of a stage, of
of a project, seeing things you think could have been done better, but
had no input at the appropriate time.

The strength of open source is accessible community.
Fragmented division is the conventional and already failed
structure - rather obvious when you look around and it doesn't
produce the same product as the one that is the result of a
continuous, open consultative process.
Regards,

Weaver.

--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"