[Freedombox-discuss] Identity UI

Michael Rauch l15t at miranet.ch
Sun Jun 24 08:34:27 UTC 2012

On 06/23/2012 07:23 AM, Nick M. Daly wrote:

> For initial reference, I'd like to share the WebBox project [0] that
> somebody posted to this list long ago.  It inverts the standard
> development approach: not focusing on applications, but focusing on
> standardized data formats so that everything saves to, requests data
> from, and is controlled by a single data store.  Then, it doesn't matter
> what applications you're running, they all understand and interact with
> the same data.
>
> 0: http://people.csail.mit.edu/emax/papers/www2012-webbox.pdf

I find Tim Berners-Lee's article about 'Socially Aware Cloud Storage' [1] a good introduction to the concepts.

I installed the webbox software a feew weeks ago on my desktop PC. I posted some issues I had during installation and how I resolved them [2].
That might save other people some time figuring out how to get things working ..

I didn't have time to play around with it yet, though.

1: http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CloudStorage.html
2: http://groups.google.com/group/webbox-dev/browse_frm/month/2012-06

-michael