[Freedombox-discuss] Why four users with passwords on the freedombox?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Jun 15 06:54:41 UTC 2014

The existance of users on the freedombox with well known passwords still
bother me a lot, and I just pushed fixes for freedom-maker to my repo
and alioth to get rid of one of them.  I tested yesterday to grant the
fbx user sudo access and not setting a root password at all (locked
password, must use sudo), and this worked fine.  So since this morning,
we have only one user with a well known password on a freshly build
freedombox:

  fbx : frdm

So one less user to remember to change password for.  One way to get rid
of this last one is to either remove the user when the initial user is
created by the first-page plinth setup, and create a local unix user for
the initial user with sudo access and the password specified on
first-page.

The password situation is different for Freedombox installations done
using debian-installer and the preseeding file, as it will not create
the local fbx user and ask for the root password during login, so in
this case no user will known passwords will be created.

The plinth process still run as root, while it should run as user
plinth. :(

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen