[Freedombox-discuss] Need help with getting start

Jack Wilborn jkwilborn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 09:54:03 UTC 2015

I assume you can at least log in?  If so, using 'ifconfig' will show you
all available connections, from the Freedombox side.  Although I've
installed the latest Debian software, I have NOT added the 'Freedombox'
configuration to mine yet. Although, I use the Dreamplug for my system, I'm
still dealing with HDD drives for it and the output here is from my Ubuntu
flavor of Debian.  Hopefully I've assisted.?...  And I'm not to technically
out of it.

There are at least a number of items that you can check.

1.) use 'ifconfig' or any similar piece of software to locate ip address.
2.) 'ifconfig' will also show you the netmask, although usually not your
kind of problem.
3.) 'cat /etc/resolv.conf' and see what's in it.
4.) I don't know if you have tried to 'ping' your router as you should be
(hardware wise) connected.
    My router is on 192.168.1.1 as an example and is my default 'gateway'
to the Internet.
5.) The last is your ip routing.  I have to look it up with 'man ip' from a
terminal window as I've only found it a couple of times to be the problem.
So go to here and use Google.com as a reference for many of your
questions.  And the IRC #Freedombox, to chat about problems, on-line.

here is my resolv.conf:

jack at Kilo:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.1.1
nameserver 192.168.1.65
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

          -----
These are added automatically, but sometimes I've found them with only the
localhost defined in them. This file is overwritten on boot so these need
to be checked.  Maybe someone knows off hand where to put these, as I can'
remember except something /etc/resovconf directory. The last three are put
in by me.  These are the DNS servers that are defined and their search
order.  Your network may be missing this and therefore cannot resolve
things like 'www.google.com'.  One way to see what's happening is to use,
if available, 'dig' or 'nslookup' to see what returned.
On my lan, I have a local DNS server, the 192.168.1.65 is my home DNS
server.  Here is output from 'dig'

---------

jack at Kilo:/$ dig cheetah.kilo.kat
; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.4-Ubuntu <<>> cheetah.kilo.kat
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cheetah.kilo.kat.        IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cheetah.kilo.kat.    604800    IN    A    192.168.1.65

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
kilo.kat.        604800    IN    NS    cheetah.kilo.kat.

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.1.1#53(127.0.1.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 26 02:32:09 MST 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 75

jack at Kilo:/$

-------

Quickly, the line with the answer showing query, status ("NOERROR"), and
the answer (1) and authority (also 1), both answer and authority came from
my DNS server.  You can also try it on anything that needs 'resolving' so
to speak.

-------

Hope this helps.  At least it gives something to try...

Jack