[Freedombox-discuss] Landing page content

sam at bristolwireless.net sam at bristolwireless.net
Fri Jan 15 21:28:30 UTC 2016

Hi all

> if it looks complex, then this purpose
> is not fullfilled.

I agree. Don't make me think
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Make_Me_Think

In this case, the simplest thing would be a 'buy now' button that took
the user to Amazon. Like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aws/cart/add.html?AssociateTag=howtosurvivet-21&ASIN.1=B019FUVHHA&Quantity.1=1&ASIN.2=B00KGRKB9M&Quantity.2=1&ASIN.3=B009AYVNMQ&Quantity.3=1&ASIN.4=B00HVEZFXA&Quantity.4=1&ASIN.5=B00CKQU6ME&Quantity.5=1

This is an affiliate link and I'd earn a small amount of money from
Amazon if a user brought this stuff. In this particular case, I also
happen to be the vendor of the Freedombox SD card. (I know the SD card
is unavailable - I'll get around to fixing it soon)

What I think would be useful is if people on this list started selling
Cubietruck SD cards configured with the Freedombox ISO via Amazon.
Amazon will drop ship them, so you'd just need to ship them 10-20
cards at a time when they notify you that they are down to 5 or so. It
would be great If a few other people started providing SD cards in the
US etc.

Freedombox foundation could set up as an affiliate and earn a few quid
every time someone brought all the components via a click from the
Freedombox site.

> I think listing all the functions/roles of FreedomBox will
> confuse/distract the user.  It is better to talk about at most 3-5
> functions and say 'many more'.

+1 for me the killer apps are personal cloud (Owncloud) plus
Adblocking. Plus some other stuff if you are interested and geeky.

I also hope that farming Safecoins will give users more impetus to run
a personal server, and that the Safe network will provide them with a
mechanism to back up all their stuff. In the longer term, I think the
Safe network could disrupt the whole game, but that remains to be
proven at this stage. Ref: http://maidsafe.net/

Thanks

Sam

My site selling Freedomboxes/ Safe network Vaults is here:
http://safenetworkbackup.com/ If I ever make any profit off it
(doubtful!) I'll donate 10% of the profits to Freedombox foundation,
along with 10% to the Maidsafe foundation.