[Freedombox-discuss] NanoPC-T4

Matthias Weiler matthias.weiler at runbox.com
Mon Jul 23 11:28:19 BST 2018

Dear FreedomBox Community,

I did some research to decide for a hardware platform to use as my
future FreedomBox. From what I understand NanoPC-T4[0] would be a good
choice but I would like to hear your opinion before I order it.

The good:
very powerful
dual WiFi
16 GB eMMC should suffice for many applications
M.2 PCIe for SSD is you need more storage
USB 3.0 (e.g. for backup on external HDD)
comes with a case and power supply
RK3399 SoC has pretty good mainline support [1]
officially supports Ubuntu[2] so Debian should run (I assume)

Caveats:
high price
power consumption unclear
heat production unclear
no SATA (but M.2)
not open hardware

I added the device to the Hardware list[3]. Not sure about the point
"Debian arch" so please correct this - I basically guessed.

Did I miss something? What do the more knowledgeable think about this
device?

Regards,
Matthias

[0]