[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox doesn't appear on my network after installation

Joseph Nuthalapati njoseph at riseup.net
Mon Nov 12 05:33:16 GMT 2018

Tunui,

Since you mentioned that your board has a 4 GB eMMC, I'd
recommend installing FreedomBox to the SD card instead since the
operating system itself might take up most of the 4 GB disk
space. FreedomBox applications are currently configured to use
internal storage only, though you might be able to change this on
a per application basis. It is better to use the 16 GB microSD
card as your primary installation location and ignore the eMMC
storage for now. microSD will be slower than eMMC though.

"franken.tunui at gmail.com" <franken.tunui at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you, I'll probably give it a try in a couple days, if I
> get to understand everything...Do I just plug in a keyboard and
> screen to the Lime2? And last question, if I install to eMMC
> will I be able to uninstall everything from the eMMC later when
> a valid FreedomBox image is available? Thank you for your help!
> ------ Message d'origine------De: Sébastien BarthélémyDate:
> lun., 12 nov. 2018 00:19À: agropper at healthurl.com;Cc: Tunui
> Franken;freedombox-discuss at alioth-lists.debian.net;Objet :Re:
> [Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox doesn't appear on my network
> after installationOn Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 12:58 PM Sébastien
> Barthélémy <barthelemy at crans.org> wrote:I think you can install
> an armbian recommended by Olimex, and "sudo apt install
> freedombox" from there.I have not tried yet, but will probably
> do.I just gave it a try, it worked (as far as I tested).Here a
> my notes (for my future self, don't follow them blindly). I
> used an USB-serial cable because I have one, but using ethernet
>   should also work.1/ install armbian following instructions from https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/*  download Armbian_5.65_Lime2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.78.7z from  https://dl.armbian.com/lime2/Debian_stretch_next.7z* uncompress and copy it to SD card.* plug the USB-Serial adapter, run kermit* power the lime2, watch console logs while it boots* login (root/1234), and follow instructions. I created a user "seb", maybe I should have ctrl-c instead, because freedombox will also want to create a user.* plug the ethernet cable, watch the board get an ip using journaltlf -kf* update the OS:    apt update && apt upgrade* install to eMMC (use ext4 filesystem)    nand-sata-install # do not poweroff at the end    # clear the boot loader signature on the SD card    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=8 count=1    poweroff* remove microSD card* power the board, watch logs on console, login (either from console or SSH),congrats, you're running (armbian f
> [...]

Regards,
Joseph Nuthalapati