[Freedombox-discuss] Occasional freezes

Joseph Nuthalapati njoseph at riseup.net
Thu Jan 31 09:09:57 GMT 2019

We have recently made a switch from apache mod-php to the php-fpm
module. php-fpm runs a daemon in the background which can take up some RAM.

Maybe, you can also keep Coquelicot disabled for a while and see the
results.

We have a feature request to add a swap space by default to FreedomBox
images. Swap not working on btrfs filesystems is a bit disappointing.

This might be a bad idea, but you can probably use an attached USB disk
as the swap partition.

On 31/01/19 2:23 pm, permondes - sagen wrote:
> Oh Sh....
> Swap files are not allowed on btrfs
>
> manpages say:
>> *swapon* may not work correctly when using a swap file with some
>> versions  of *btrfs*. This is due to btrfs being a copy-on-write
>> filesystem: the  file location may not be static and corruption can
>> result. Btrfs actively  disallows the use of swap files on its
>> filesystems by refusing to map the  file.
>
> So I have to generate a swap partition on a micro-SD card. I think to
> have read this was discouraged because wear leveling was then inefficient.
>
> I would put a remark in our hardware section to avoid devices with <1 GB
> RAM.
> I will do this after I am sure my issues come from running out of RAM.
>
> Dietmar
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 31.01.2019, 09:32 +0100 schrieb permondes - sagen:
>> Thanks for the hint, but it runs into bug #913481.
>> I will do it according to the debian wiki > swap
>>
>> Nevertheless, it would be better to find the cause of the freezes by
>> investigating some log files.
>> Currently I just see the authentication errors in coqueliqot and
>> actually also in mediawiki - but both work.
>>
>> Dietmar
>>
>> Am Mittwoch, den 30.01.2019, 23:15 +0100 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
>>> [Permondes - Sagen]
>>>

>>> I doubt it, but can not say for sure.  Are you aware of the
>>> dphys-swapfile package?  I suspect just installing it might do what you
>>> want.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Happy hacking
>>> Petter Reinholdtsen