[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox as a router

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Sat Feb 22 15:31:14 GMT 2020

On 21/02/20 5:23 am, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> Op 21-02-2020 om 11:49 schreef Paul van der Vlis:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to use the Fritzbox as a router:
>> LAN --- Freedombox --- ISP-router --- internet
>>
>> The firewall should do things like NAT, and I need services like DHCP
>> and DNS. I have two network interfaces.
>>
>> I could install DNSmasq and use my own firewall, but what's a good way
>> to do this the Freedombox-way?
>
> I have this working by installing dnsmasq. Not sure this is the good way
> for the freedombox, but it works. This is what I've added to
> /etc/dnsmasq.conf:
>
> cache-size=200
> interface=eth1
> listen-address=10.42.0.1
> dhcp-range=10.42.0.50,10.42.0.150,1h

By configuring a shared network connection using FreedomBox (essentially
NetworkManager) you can have this automatically done[1]. In the rare
case that it is needed[2], customizations to configuration of dnsmasq
instance spawned by NetworkManager can be done by dropping files into
/etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq-shared.d/ .

>> Second step is that I would like to use a VPN:
>> LAN --- Freedombox --- ISP-router --- openVPN-server --- internet
>>
>> The Freedombox does not support to act as a VPN client, but I guess I
>> can simply put a configuration in /etc/openvpn/ . Right?
>
> I have this also working. All traffic from the LAN is routed trough the VPN.

This is correct.

You can also try the new WireGuard client via FreedomBox interface if
that is an option for you.

Links:

1)
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual/Networks#Internet_Connection_Sharing