[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi complete

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Tue Nov 3 18:13:52 GMT 2020

Quoting Thomas F. Ruddy (2020-11-03 18:36:53)
> I refer to the first sentence: "Launched in 2010 by Prof. Eben Moglen,
> FreedomBox is a global project to empower regular people to reassert
> control over the infrastructure of the internet."
>
> https://www.freedombox.org/about/
>
> Of course, the Debian community also consists of "regular people", but
> not nearly all or even many of them.

Thanks for clarifying what you mean by "universal appeal".

Yes, the Freedombox project was in the beginning - and still is - about
reasserting control over the infrastructure of the internet.

I don't recognize, however, what RPi 400 has to do with that.

Yes, Freedombox is about regular users.

Freedombox is not about desktop computers or computers requiring
non-free blobs, however - exactly because it is about empowering regular
people to reassert *control* over the *infrastructure* of the internet.

Eben made a fine presentation at Debconf in 2010, explaining what he
meant by "reassert control" and "infrastructure of the internet" - I can
dearly recommend to watch it again, if perhaps it has been too long to
remember the concept that sparked this project and still fuels it.

Other projects exist for empowering regular people to *learn* about
*desktop* computers, as it seems the Raspberry Pi 400 is about.