[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi complete

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Nov 4 22:52:55 GMT 2020

> After my experience with Banana Pi R1, I would hesitate to buy Banana Pi again.

I did not mean to endorse the BananaPi.  I do have one and am quite
satisfied with it (I just wish it had 2GB or RAM rather than just one).

FWIW, I have indeed heard people having some problems with the
BananaPi-R1, and IIUC the BananaPi-R1 and the "vanilla BananaPi" were
designed in quite different ways (tho I haven't managed to understand
what really happened there.  My vague understanding is that the original
BananaPi was designed by LeMaker together with Sinovoip, and then they
split, with LeMaker designing the BananaPro on their side and Sinovoip
designing various other products such as the BPI-R1).

> I don’t think I can buy Pine64 in my country.  Olimex can be
> found on the local market, even with FreedomBox, cool, although it is
> apparently relatively expensive.  So the choice is actually very limited
> compared to the ubiquity of Raspberry Pi.

So hardware that runs on Free Software is less ubiquitous and
more expensive than hardware that relies on proprietary blobs?
What else is new?

        Stefan