[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi complete

Milan Zamazal pdm at zamazal.org
Thu Nov 5 00:11:05 GMT 2020

    SM> So hardware that runs on Free Software is less ubiquitous and
    SM> more expensive than hardware that relies on proprietary blobs?
    SM> What else is new?

It’s indeed not new.  The problem is that we can’t progress when there
are just *some* alternatives.  For instance, it’s futile to run a
private mail server when >99% of the population uses data mining mail
servers and all your sent and received e-mail is stored there anyway.
(I still use my own mail server, but this is to save my sanity, not
privacy.)  Or it doesn’t help avoiding spying social networks when all
the people around you post information about you there anyway.  Etc.

I’m afraid the change can’t happen until users can retain freedom
without sacrificing convenience (and yes, this is still only a
necessary, not sufficient, condition).  I also hit my limits too often.
Hardware availability and price are part of the problem and the question
whether there is any chance to convert currently available proprietary
pieces to something better is not unimportant.

Regards,
Milan