[Fsf-Debian] [Dev] Comparison with Parabola

Quiliro Ordóñez quiliro at congresolibre.org
Thu Aug 16 20:52:05 UTC 2012

El 05/08/12 03:23, Ramana Kumar escribió:
> OK It appears I misunderstood Parabola somehow. Thanks for the replies! :)
> One remaining question I have there is: if everything in Parabola
> repositories is free, then what is the point of the your-freedom
> package?
It is an extra safe measure to tell the user s/he has installed a
non-free package from somewhere else. It is useful to remind the user
his/her freedom is at peril.

> But I don't want to discuss that too much on fsf-collab-discuss - we
> can resume on a Parabola list (I subscribe to dev).
>
> May I redirect this topic to my question pertaining to Debian:
> Can Debian achieve FSF's view of being a free distribution (relatively
> easily) by doing something akin to a your-freedom package?

That would not make Debian FSF free. It would warn the users that they
have installed a non-free package that they have. In case the Debian
version of your-freedom package is up to date and correct it would be
great to include that package.

--
Saludos libres,

Quiliro Ordóñez
Presidente
Asociación de Software Libre del Ecuador - ASLE
Av de la Prensa N58-219 y Cristóbal Vaca de Castro
Quito, Ecuador
(593)2-253 5534
(593)2-340 1517
(593)8-454 8078