minicom bug and linux kernel 2.6.25.4

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Sun Jun 8 23:03:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:

> Ok, so I looked into this a bit and unfortunately I cannot reproduce
> this with any devices I used. Which did you use? I'd really like to know
> what the cause is...

I'm seeing it with a 2nd-gen. V.90 Courier (with the switches set so as
not to ignore DTR).  The UART is whatever 8250/16550 clone they put on my
motherboard (ATI/ATI chipset).

Kernel configuration is pretty standard:

   CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=y
   # CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE is not set
   CONFIG_FIX_EARLYCON_MEM=y
   CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PCI=y
   CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PNP=y
   CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=4
   CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS=4
   # CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_EXTENDED is not set

If you have a breakout box with indicator lights, you should see that DTR
isn't raised provided that the problem is, in fact, universal.

If everything's working great for you. then by all means please let me
know and I'll put on my hip boots and wade around in the kernel source (it
may be that the UART simply isn't being given time to settle after the
clock programming -- I've run into that before).