[Neurodebian-users] [Neurodebian-upstream] Neuroscience software survey: What is popular, what has problems? Immediate results

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Wed May 18 14:00:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 09:51 -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Indeed the survey could be bigger/broader scope, but then it would make
> it harder to attract submissions.

You are right, it is just that I was thinking that the aforementioned
items belong to the essential category.

> Although Fortran-written libraries are still in
> use and some people still might develop in it, I do not think it is a
> leading language any longer in scientific computing... anyways -- since
> concern is raised and table had a missing cell -- it is added now.

I certainly hope that one day I will wake up and realize that Fortran is
no longer there, but it doesn't even seem to be dying at the moment,
unfortunately. Let's see what the survey will reveal.

> And for all those "missing" applications/environments there is
> "Other" field, but noone yet entered Fortran there, nor mayavi.

I think one definitively wouldn't bother entering anything unless there
is a checkbox for it. I didn't, at least :-)

> matplotlib is pretty much assumed to be used if you use Python.

I would say IPython is assumed if you use Python and still it deserved
its row:-) Ok, whatever, if you take it as assumed, fine with me.

> MPI/BLAS -- get even more too technical to dump on the submitters
> heads, imho, thus possibly scaring them away.

Could be. I don't know if it is possible to make this section appear
only if one selected that he/she is using MPI.

Best,

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev