[Nut-upsdev] Fwd: Auto-discard notification

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Tue Dec 6 17:34:34 UTC 2005

Hi Tim,

thanks for your impressive decoding work. Did you compare this with
drivers/tripplite.c in the NUT sources? The protocol seems to be
similar, except that yours appears to send binary data, whereas the
NUT driver sends hex-encoded data.

Does the NUT "tripplite" driver work with your UPS?

If not, it should be relatively easy for you to write a driver that
would work. You could start by modifying the existing "tripplite"
driver.

I noticed that you gave the checksums in your decoded protocol as
(0xB1 - (N[1] + N[2])), (0xB7 - (H[1] + H[2] + H[3])) etc. I noticed
that the formula simplifies if you include the command letter in the
checksum, e.g.

0xB1 = 0xFF - 'N'
0xB7 = 0xFF - 'H'

etc, so you get:

checksum = (0xFF - ('N' + N[1] + N[2]))
checksum = (0xFF - ('H' + H[1] + H[2] + H[3]))

and so on, which is a nicer formula. -- Peter