[Nut-upsdev] APC regexp match example in newhidups.8

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri Dec 23 01:33:02 UTC 2005

Charles Lepple wrote:

> I was testing out newhidups with an APC UPS, and I noticed that I
> needed '-x vendor=American.Power.*' instead of '-x vendor=APC.*' as
> indicated in the man page.
>
> Do other APC USB UPSes use 'APC' in the vendor string? Should we
> sidestep any such problems and just go with the hex vendor ID for APC
> examples?

I believe my wife's Back-UPS has 'APC' as the vendor. But I also
believe that for the man page, I just gave a random example; the
purpose was to illustrate what a regular expression is. Users should
not normally have to use this option unless they have multiple UPSs,
and in this case, they should use the actual vendor string of their
actual device. Perhaps, for the man page, we should give a generic
example such as

 -x vendor='FooCorporation.*'

-- Peter