[Nut-upsdev] NUT shutdown on 'building alarm' (

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Fri Jun 2 21:03:49 UTC 2006

Dear NUT developers,

I am using NUT + bcmxcp + Powerware 9315.  I would like to use NUT to shut
down my systems if the air conditioning fails and the room get too hot.
I want the same shutdown sequence as would be produced when the UPS goes
on battery.

The UPS has a terminal block at the front for up to six different
'building alarms'.  I can connect a thermostat (35C) to the 'Alarm 1'
contacts.  If the room temperature reaches 35C, the thermostat contacts
close, and the UPS signals 'Building Alarm 1'.

I have browsed the NUT source code, and it appears that the driver itself
can detect this. But it also appears that there is a commented-out
alarm_init() stub function:

drivers/bcmxcp.c
   bcmxcp_alarm_map[BCMXCP_ALARM_BUILDING_ALARM_1].alarm_desc = "BUILDING_ALARM_1";
   /* alarm_init(); Alarms are not supported by NUT */

I browsed the docs:

docs/new-drivers.txt:
   There is no official list of alarm words as of this writing, so don't
   use these functions until you check with the upsdev list.

So I am checking with the list, to ask if the functionality that I
describe above is already available with NUT or if I need to modify the
driver so that a building alarm gets treated in the same way as an 'On
battery' event.

If I need to modify the driver, it might be as simple as my calling
status_set("OB") in the right place.  But this is based from ten minutes
of browsing the code, so it could be naive.

PS: I'd be grateful if you could copy me in any replies, not just reply
'to the list'.

Cheers,
 	Bruce