Fwd: [Nut-upsdev] Fun with TrippLite

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon May 8 16:51:58 UTC 2006

Hi Brandon,

excellent, that's great progress. Based on your output, I have cleaned
up the variable mappings a bit; support for this UPS should now almost
be clean. The new version is in SVN.

There are a couple of issues remaining.

1) the -u root flag: the driver normally drops root privileges; this
  option prevents it from doing so. However, it should not be
  necessary if your file permissions / hotplugging is set up
  correctly. See scripts/hotplug or scripts/hotplug-ng.

2) the device usage tree. I would still quite like to see the output
  of "newhidups -u root -DD auto". Could you post this?

3) instant commands. We currently have no information on which of them,
  if any, work, and whether they work correctly. Could you try the
  following instant commands (use upscmd to send commands to the UPS):

  test.battery.start.quick     // start quick battery test
  test.battery.start.deep      // start deep battery test
  test.battery.stop            // interrupt running test

  (check how this affects ups.test.result from upsc)

  beeper.on  // turn beeper on/off
  beeper.off

  (the beeper commands may only work during "on battery" situation)

  load.off          // turn off load
  shutdown.return   // turn load off and back on after delay
  shutdown.stop     // cancel turning load off

  (make sure your computer does not get its power supply via the UPS
  when experimenting with these).

4) double-check output from upsc

Could you report back on items 2-4) above? Thanks, -- Peter